1. Temporary Import Permit. What do I need to keep my boat legally in Mexico?

“Click to download official guide”

All countries regulate foreign marine traffic within their boundaries, whether for commercial or pleasure purposes. Mexico’s Customs law allows an owner/captain to enter Mexico with a pleasure boat and keep it in the country for up to 10 years. The legal document which allows you to do this is called a Temporary Import Permit (Permiso de Importación Temporal). It does not change the registry or nationality of the vessel; It is simply a permit to keep a vessel in Mexico for up to 10 years. There is a one-time $60.00 US fee.

All vessels larger than 4.5 M are required to have a Temporary Import Permit (TIP) no matter how long you intend to stay in the country. It is the document that allows your vessel to be legally in Mexico and you should not be in Mexico without it, weather you are on board or not, or in a marina or not. If you do not have this permit, Customs will consider that the vessel is illegally in the country and, according to law, subject to fines and/or confiscation. The custom rule 4.2.5 outlines this process. (Reglas de Carácter General de Comercio Exterior 4.2.5)

Along with your boat you are allowed to bring in mobile accessories such as jet skis, dinghy, motor cycle, quads and a helicopter for non commercial personal use. These items are listed on a form called “Listado de Equipos Móviles” to be filled out at the same time you apply for your Temporary Import Permit.

The TIP can be obtained either on line before you depart for Mexico or at the first official port of entry. If in USA or Canada you can apply on line by going to this site, https://www.banjercito.com.mx/registroVehiculos/ 7 days to 60 months prior to departure. (The new TIP is a PDF document with a QR Code that they e mail to you in a couple of days after receiving the on line request). If you do not do it on line, and are coming from the USA on the Pacific side, we recommend you stop in Ensenada at the one-stop office and do all entry paperwork there (Immigration, Port Captain, and the Temporary Import Permit). The Temporary Import Permit is issued by a special BANJERCITO CIITEV office. If you wish to obtain the TIP at another port, go to the Customs (Aduana) office and ask where to do it.  In La Paz the permit is issued at the Banjército office in the ferry terminal in Pichilingue, 10 miles from town.  You take the original and a copy of the following documents: Passport, tourist card, and vessel documentation or registration, the hull identification number (HIN), and engine numbers. If you have a tender 4.5 Mt or less and/or any other “mobile accessories” like a motor cycle, jet ski, etc. you would take an original and copy of its ownership document, and have them listed on the “Mobile Accessories” document that will be attached to your Temporary Import Permit. If your tender is larger than 4.5 Mt (about 15 feet) you must get it its own Temporary Import Permit for it also. If you don´t have a car to go to Pichilingue, take the bus that runs to Pichilingue from the downtown waterfront bus depot in the morning.  You will need $60.00 in US dollars or a credit card. Banjercito will print the document and also send it by e mail. Be sure to make several copies of the Temporary Import Permit as well as save the digital PDF.

The permit is valid for multiple entry into the country for the 10 year period, so you do not have to cancel it when you leave Mexico, if you are planning to return. It can also be renewed for an additional 10 year period. If you are not sure about returning we recommend you cancel it since it will be harder to cancel later on or if you sell your vessel, it may complicate getting a new Temporary Import Permit for the buyer if vessel returns to Mexico.

The TIP is also needed to import vessel equipment, maintenance and repair parts for your boat. There is a new format for registering the temporary importation of merchandise destined for the maintenance and repair of temporarily imported vessels. (“Registro de importación temporal de mercancias destinadas al mantenimiento y reparación de las embarcaciones temporalmente importadas”).

2. Can I sell or charter my boat while in Mexico?

It is illegal to sell a Temporarily Imported Vessels in Mexico or Mexican Territorial waters, so be sure any sale is done off shore, and after having cancelled the Temporary Import Permit and cleared out internationally to a point outside Mexican Territorial Waters. A new owner could re enter Mexico and file for a new Temporary Import Permit with the new documentation.

The boat may not be used for commercial purposes without government authorization,  For information on chartering your boat while in Mexico, we recommend you speak to the Port Captain or ECO Naviera with offices in our marina.

3. Can packages marked «boat or yacht in transit» enter Mexico duty free?

Contrary to another old-time belief, there is no law allowing importation of goods for «boats in transit». Importation of repair and maintenance materials for pleasure vessels can be arranged for boats with a Temporary Import Permit (TIP). To have parts shipped to Mexico, you will need to provide customs with a copy of your TIP, and Banjército will fill out the form to import the equipment or parts you wish to bring in (“Registro de importación temporal de mercancias destinadas al mantenimiento y reparación de las embarcaciones temporalmente importadas”). A letter from a marina which verifies that the parts are for the vessel and not for sale, is a good thing to have also. The rule regarding this is 4.2.5 of the “Reglas de Carácter General de Comercio Exterior”.

4. Does a Temporary Import Permit allow me to bring ANYTHING for my boat into Mexico duty free?

The items to be imported must be equipment for the boat or for its repair or maintenance. These items must have the ability to be fully identifiable, with make, model number and serial number if it has one. It must be parts of equipment for the vessel. Consumables like oil, rivets, nuts and bolts, adhesive tape, sealers, liquids, cables, etc are not subject to this type of importation. These items must be declared and duty paid. Also, anything that is not boat parts and equipment, and are not personal effects (like clothes, lap top, camera, fishing rods etc) are subject to duties. (List of items considered personal effects)

Importation must be done at the point the goods enter the country: at the border if you drive over, in Los Cabos airport, for example, if it comes on a direct flight from USA, or in Guadalajara or Mexico City, if that is where the plane first touches down.

Following is a suggested procedure for importing equipment, parts and materials. Bear in mind that each Customs port, even each official, may do things differently.

The rule regarding this is 4.2.5 of the “Reglas de Carácter General de Comercio Exterior”.

A.- Arriving with merchandise at the Mexican border (by car):
Have with you a copy of your Temporary Import Permit (TIP), copy of the Banjército form (“Registro de importación temporal de mercancias destinadas al mantenimiento y reparación de las embarcaciones temporalmente importadas”) to import the items you are bringing in, copies of the Invoices of the equipment you are importing, with make, model and serial numbers (if they exist) and accurate description of the merchandise, and a letter from a marina vouching that the goods are for a vessel in that marina (not mandatory but helps many times).

B.- Merchandise shipped direct to La Paz by air. These items must be picked up by the owner/skipper of the vessel.

  • Go to customs cargo office at the airport and pick up the Guía or Cargo Manifest. On this visit get all serial numbers and relevant information regarding merchandise shipped, if you do not have it.
  • Go to the Banjército CIITEV office, if one is near or have someone do it for you at the original Banjército CIITEV office where you got the original Temporary Import Permit and have them fill out the Banjército form, to import the items you require.
  • Make two copies of your TIP.
  • Have copy of Guia and Cargo Manifest.
  • Have original and copy of third party voucher if requested.
  • Have two copies of the invoice of the merchandise being imported.
  • Present all the above at the Customs office.

In one to three days the office will issue you a letter to present to the Customs official at the airport (Vista) instructing him to inspect the merchandise and release it to you if all is in order.

C.- Merchandise sent by overnight or express mail like DHL, UPS,  FEDEX, or USPS

You must deal directly with these companies, we have found DHL to be the most informed regarding the process, however, YOU MUST PLAN AHEAD!!

  • Go to the Banjército CIITEV office, if one is near, or have someone do it for you at the Banjército CIITEV office where you got the original Temporary Import Permit and have them fill out the Banjército form to import the items you require.
  • Send to the person shipping the goods a copy of your TIP, the copy of the Banjército form, and be sure to have him or her included these documents in the exterior packet taped to the package.
  • As soon as the package is sent, have the sender give you the tracking number (Número de Guia) for the package.
  • DHL has a person in charge of importing all goods shipped Via DHL. Their Mexico Hub is in Guadalajara and that is where the goods get imported. As soon as you know the Tracking Number call or e mail and let them know the Tracking Number for the package and that you wish to have them temporarily import the goods. They must know before the goods arrive in Guadalajara so that he can take it from the normal processing line and give it special Temporary Import treatment. I would recommend you contact the designated person with DHL prior to shipment and go over everything with him so he knows to expect the shipment.
  • Marina de La Paz, can get you a copy of the official letter that spells out the process for express mail companies. If you use some other express freight company, set up the process ahead of time, find out where the import hub is and contact the person in charge of importations.
  • You should not have to pay any Taxes or extra fees for this, and if all is set up right, there should be no delay.

Note: Procedures change often (faster than we update this web page) so be sure to ask for latest procedure before you start.

5. Do I have to check in and out of every port in Mexico?

Mexico changed its clear-in and clear-out procedure for coastal navigation (Mexican port to Mexican port) for private yachts. (Article 50 of the Navigation and Maritime Comerce Law). Once the vessel formally clears in to the county at its first port of entry, the only requirement is that the vessel notify the Port Captain’s office or an authorized marina of its arrivals and departures. They will require vessel name, last port of call or port of destination, changes in crew and vessel documentation or registration number. «Despachos» are no longer needed except for international departure. When clearing in or out of the country by sea the services of a ship’s agent is optional.  The Port Captain in La Paz district (including Cabo San Lucas) requires a health inspection of the vessel before issuing a «Despacho» for international waters, this takes a day or two to obtain.


6. What immigration requirements are there and do I have to check in and out with immigration when arriving from or departing to another Mexican Port?

Everyone traveling to Mexico must obtain a Mexican ‘Tourist Card’ now called a Visitor FMM (Forma Migratoria Multiple de Visitante sin permiso para realizar actividades remuneradas) and the cost is $638.00 pesos (2022) or a Visa if you are from a country that Mexico requires you have a Visa.

With the changes in the Law described in #5 above, immigration no longer requires foreign crew and passengers to check in or out in coastal navigation. You must check in when arriving from a foreign port and check out when departing to a foreign port.  Your tourist visa will be taken from you upon departure, so it is recommended that you have or make a photocopy to keep in your file.

The Visitor FMM  can be obtained upon arrival at your first official port of entry, and can be pre paid for online by going to the following web page https://www.banjercito.com.mx/registroEmbarques/. Or https://www.gob.mx/inm/acciones-y-programas/sport-fishing-and-nautical-tourism

 It is a good idea to do this since you will have proof of payment of the FMM Visitor form even if you do not have the Visitor FMM itself. At the first official port of entry you present the payment receipt and they will proceed to fill out, stamp and give you the form valid for up to 180 days. A tip: when you fill out the information requested on the web page, do so individually, one person at a time so you will get one receipt for each person in that person´s name. To do this you state that there is only one person on board the vessel when on STEP 2 of the process. If you say 2 people you will be billed for two people but get one receipt in the name of the person filling out the form. If you are a couple and both will be getting the Visitor FMM at the same time then it would not be a problem since you will be given two Visitor FMM. The payment on line is the only payment required for the Visitor FMM, you will not be charged again when they issue the document at the port of entry immigration office. Paying on line ahead of time will also save you a trip to the bank.

 The immigration web page also states that you can e mail the Ensenada office, send them the copy of the pre payment receipt and that they will issue the Visitor FMM and send it by e mail.  https://www.gob.mx/inm/acciones-y-programas/sport-fishing-and-nautical-tourism

7. Is there a fee for anchoring my boat in La Paz?

In 1997 the administration of most ports in Baja California Sur, including La Paz, were turned over to a State owned company, referred to as «API».  The current (2022) PORT ENTRY fee for vessels under 39 tons is $94.68 pesos.  For vessels 40 tons to 499 tons, the fee is $2.99 pesos per gross ton. For vessels 500 tons and over the rate is $3.69 per ton plus a flat fee of $6,618.71 pesos.

For 2022 the API anchoring fee in La Paz  for in its harbor are shown in the following table:

Gross Tons Pesos per Day
1 to 20 $14.57 flat fee
21 to 499 $125.03 flat fee

When you clear into La Paz, you are supposed to go to the API BCS office on the Main Pier downtown, they will ask you to estimate the length of your stay in the harbor and will charge you according to the days you estimate you will stay.  If you stay longer, go to API to pay the difference before checking out.

Boats in marinas do not pay an anchoring fee; if questioned, show API your receipts from the marina to be exempt for any time you spent in one.

The above fees change about every year, so we recommend you go to API,BCS’ web page for latest fee update https://www.apibcs.com.mx/tarifas-infraestructura/

API is responsible for maintaining lights and channel buoys in the harbor.

8. How long does it take for mail to arrive in La Paz from the U.S. or Canada?

Mail service between Canada or the USA and Baja California Sur is dependable and moderately fast. Regular letter mail takes between 5-15 days. Small packages, including gifts or parts, can be sent regular air mail; expect them to take two top three weeks for delivery except at Christmas time. From the U.S. Post Office, International Express Mail service works well and the sender will get an ID number for tracing purposes; delivery time is from 8 to 10 days and there is sometimes a small Custom’s charge at this end.

9. What mailing address should I use to receive mail in La Paz?

Please use the following address for mail sent through the regular postal service:

Your Name
Your Boat Name
Apdo. Postal 366
La Paz, CP 23000, BCS, Mexico

The mail is sorted and placed in the Club Cruceros de La Paz building at MLP; as a courtesy for Club handling of your mail you should join the Club ($10.00 per year). Bring a supply of U.S. stamps, as there is an informal hand delivery system in place, whereby cruiser/guests are willing to carry letter mail when they fly north.

If mail is being sent by a family member via one of the special delivery services, like UPS, tell them not to include a surprise gift, or medicines, as this will sidetrack the shipment in Customs on the mainland of Mexico where the shipments are first checked.

10. What about the non-postal express delivery services?

Letter items sent by UPS, Fed Ex, or DHL can take from 1-4 days to arrive. Be sure to give a street address, as delivery companies will not accept a postal address. Our street address is: Topete 3040 y Legaspy, La Paz 23060, BCS, Mexico. See II above for shipment of parts.

11. Can I have faxes or e-mail sent to me at Marina de La Paz?

Our office, will deliver faxes and e mails for you. The fax number is: 011-52-612-125-5900. The e-mail address is: info @ marinalapaz.com. Be sure to tell the sending party to put your name and your boat name on all faxes or e-mails, otherwise they might not reach you.

12. Can I keep my car in Mexico?

There are two zones in Mexico and each one treats cars differently.

For the “Free Zone” or Border Zone that includes the entire Baja peninsula, you can have a foreign vehicle legally in this zone as long as it is driven by a foreign resident and has current registration in the country of registry. This is stated in the Rule 3.4.8 (Regla de Caracter General de Comercio Exterior 3.4.8). For the rest of Mexico you must get a temporary import permit for the car that is good for up to six months. The vehicle must exit the country after that period. This paper work is done at the Pichilingue ferry terminal, north end, at the Banjército CIITEV office. A sticker will be attached to your windshield and the car can remain on the mainland for 6 months, period. We recommend you have a current non mexican driver’s license if you are driving a foreign registered vehicle. It is illegal to sell a foreign registered vehicle in Mexico. Be sure you have the required liability insurance on your auto, it may save you an unpleasant stay in jail in the event of an accident.

13. Do I need to have boat insurance?

Liability insurance from either an American or a Mexican company is required for your vessel by law and by the marinas.

14. Is there still a problem with «mordida» (bribes) in Mexico?

The Mexican government has gone to great lengths to stamp out corruption in recent years. Don’t pay mordida or offer to bribe an official or police officer unless you feel there is no possible alternative. If you are stopped by a traffic policeman, take the time to go to the police station and ask for a clarification, or to pay the real fine. Do not be intimidated. If you feel you were unjustly detained, say you want to go to the tourism office «Secretaría de Turismo, Economía y Sustentabilidad» or “Turismo Municipal” for translation or an explanation. This is the municipal tourism office phone in La Paz, 612 122 2986

15. Who do I turn to if I have a problem in Mexico?

The tourism office «Secretaría de Turismo, Economía y Sustentabilidad» (612) 1240100 can be of help to you. If you feel you have been the victim of a scam or theft, go to them and file a written report and they will assist you. If you feel you need help with translation at some government agency, ask them to help you. If you are broke, don’t expect them to give you money to get out of town.

16. How close is the nearest U.S. Consular Representative?

The U.S. maintains a consular office in Cabo. The consular agent can renew passports and notarize documents. The number in Cabo San Lucas is 624 143-3566 / 664 748-0129; office hours are M-F from 10:00 to 1:00 P.M. The rest of the time you can leave a message on an answering machine.

Office Address:  Tiendas de Palmilla, Carretera Transpeninsular Km 27.5 Local B221 San José del Cabo, Baja California Sur, C.P. 23406

For after-hours emergencies, please call the Duty Officer at the U.S. Consulate General Tijuana. From La Paz, please dial (619) 692-2154 / (664) 977-2000

17. What is the best way to get money while in La Paz?

ATM machines are one way to have access to funds. Some ATM’s will give you dollars, most will give you pesos.

Some other suggestions for ways to receive funds: Arrange for bank-to-bank transfers by filling out the proper forms at your financial institution before you leave home; such transfers can then be requested by voice or fax; payment is the same day; pay out can be made in U.S. currency or pesos. Get a telephone number from your bank which will put you in touch with a person, rather than a «communications system».

Money can be sent via Western Union; to Banco Azteca, located in the Elektra stores and Money Gram operates through Walmart in La Paz and most other towns, which receive funds by wire and pay out is in pesos. Personal checks on USA banks are rarely accepted since the USA has now forbidden checks issued on US Accounts to be cashed outside the United States. US coins are useless to anyone, as the banks will not accept them; please don’t use them for tips.

VERY IMPORTANT NOTE: Local businesses and banks WILL NOT TAKE BILLS THAT HAVE BEEN WRITTEN ON. Inspect the bills you are bringing with you and exchange any that have been marked or damaged. Very few banks change dollars, but most stors and money exchange establishments will change dollars.

18. Are good medical and dental services available in La Paz?

Yes. Medical and dental services in La Paz are excellent and reasonably priced. You can find specialists in most fields, general medical practice is very competent, many doctors and dentists are bilingual, and the hospitals provide adequate service for very moderate prices. However, conditions in the hospitals may be different from those you are accustomed to, especially in the general hospital; at most facilities family or friends are expected to provide needed services, like purchasing medicines or fetching water or bedpans.

19. What is the best way to make telephone calls in Mexico?

The least expensive way to telephone is by using the prepaid LADATEL cards at the phones located all over most towns. The cards come in $30, $50, and $100 peso amounts and can be used for calls within and out of Mexico. In-city calls cost about $.50 centavos a minute. There are ways of using ATT and other carriers. Ask your server for its number via an 800 (or 880) number before leaving home. Finally, there are two cell phone companies in La Paz with pay as you go service and 3G internet service is also available. Most 800 numbers do not work from Mexico.

20. Where can I have access to the internet?

Marina de La Paz has free wireless (WI-FI) and Ethernet plug on the dock for internet service if you have wireless capability, the office will give you the current password. Log on to our signal (MLP) or plug into the dock (we require a sealed plug that can be purchaced at our Marine Hardware store SeaMar across the street from the marina). Most towns, including La Paz, have many Internet Cafes where you can rent time on their machines or plug yours in. You can purchase a USB 3G receiver from Telmex for your Lap Top on a monthly contract.

21. How important is it to speak Spanish?

Many people in La Paz are bilingual, but Spanish is the primary language. Whatever amount you can learn will be useful and just as important to your successful cruising as any of the other skills you are practicing. So PRACTICE YOUR SPANISH ! !

22. Do I or my boat need a Fishing License for Sport Fishing?

Only individual fishermen need fishing licenses. You no longer need a license for your boat or dinghy.. If you’re caught fishing, but without a license, you’ll be liable for fines. It’s very unlikely that this would happen, but don’t run the risk.

They can also be purchased Online www.sportfishingbcs.gob.mx
This page is in Spanish and English and is fairly simple. It is a Baja California Sur State page but the fishing licenses that are issued are federal and good for all Mexican waters.

While you’re in San Diego, licenses — which can be acquired for a day, week, month or a year, — can be easily obtained from: Mexican Dept. of Fisheries, 2550 Fifth Ave., Ste. 15 (corner of 4th and Laurel), San Diego, CA 92103; (619) 233-4324. The best deal is the year long permit. (The CONAPESCA Representative Office in San Diego is being reorganized as part of changes and improvements of the Mexican Federal Government. We are working to implement new procedures to issue Mexican sport fishing licenses online and at this time are no longer issuing licenses when requested in person or by mail. Please consult our web site www.sportfishinginmexico.com for updates to this information).

23. What documents do I need to have to be in Mexico for me and my vessel?

You’ll need to have the current documents and paperwork mentioned below — both the originals and copies:

  1. The original of your vessel documentation — with current stamp — , state registration or Notarized Bill of Sale.
  2. Temporary Import Permit (TIP)
  3. Passports for the entire crew.
  4. Mexican “Tourist Cards” (Forma Migratoria Multiple or FMM)
  5. Proof of liability Insurance — mostly only required by marinas.
  6. Fishing Permits even if you’re just carrying fishing gear it’s a good idea to have them. www.sportfishingbcs.gob.mx
  7. Crew List showing your International clear in.
  8. Notarized permission letter for children who are minors if they are not accompanied by both their parents — muy importante!
  9. Letter of Authorization if a captain is to be left in charge of the boat